Monday, April 20, 2009

American Teens Share their Experiences with Cyber Bullies




The following quotations are taken from the Cyber Bullying U.S. website. They are from real teenagers living in the U.S., sharing their feelings about what it feels like to be bullied. There are even quotations from teenagers who were bullies. They explain why they did it, and how they felt afterwards:

Firstly, from victims:

"Being bullied makes me feel really bad, and I often get depressed later at home. I would also plot revenge and privately express my 'hatred' towards the bully, but I doubt I would really do anything about it...I don't usually go to adults to 'tattle' on people, even though I know it's not tattling, it's real."

"Being bullied besides over the internet is worse. It's torment and hurts. They say "sticks and stones may break my bones,but words will never hurt me." That quote is a lie and I don't believe in it. Sticks and stones may cause nasty cuts and scars, but those cuts and scars will heal. Insultive words hurt and sometimes take forever to heal."

"However, I feel powerless to do anything because I am scared for my own safety."

"I still cry when I think of what she said. After awhile you start believing all of the things people tell you that aren't true. When I look in the mirror I wonder if I'm fat (I'm not) after what my ex-friend said."

"i was online in a chat room and this guy was sexually harassing me by saying stuff to me and wouldn't leave me alone. i had to exit the chat room and my email."


And from bullies:

"Well the only reason I bullied is because the same person I was doing it to, did it to me like a week before. It wasn't the right thing to do but at the time it felt like I was getting revenge"

"I had recently picked on a old friend of mine, for what I will not reveal because it was unusually cruel, however she had done something to me that was equally as wrong or if not worse. I was disappointed in her, and for that I decided not to be a friend any longer and spread her deepest secrets to everyone, which made her look like a complete fool. I felt somewhat guilty because I had known her for years, at the same time it was a pay back and I think she learned from it some when it comes to attempting to mess around with me. "

You can go and visit the Cyber Bullying U.S. website to read more: http://www.cyberbullying.us/shareyourstory.php

No comments:

Post a Comment